Tuesday 17 March 2009

Destroying data....

As most of you know I try to keep all data I ever laid my eyes on. Of
course my own data in the form of emails, documents, etc. But also
software I had the pleasure of being allowed to use from other owners.
My software and content database is therefore quite extensive. Lately
this has become a problem, It is so much that I have had a hard time
finding specific content, pictures, screensavers, tools, etc.

Catalogue program
Well,
why don't I use a program to catalog all of it then? I already do so, I
can recommend it too by the way, It is called: Where is it? However, it
does not solve the issue of finding the actual cd or dvd (nowadays). My
CDRom collection is over 350, and DVDRom's well, a small 100. Try
finding that 1 disc that has that specific tool on it...

Compressing
I
have spent a significant amount of time of re-organizing all DVD's and
managed to reduce them to ~ 40. This tells you already how little real
data people put on a large medium. Just because they can. (I have to
think about people doing groceries in their Mercedes whilst a smaller
car would be more suitable and uses half the gasoline). Of course I
compressed (rar'd, zipped, 7z'nd) the created data per DVD/CD image; a
so called .iso, which makes the 1.2Gb set of files fit into a 200 Mb
.iso.zip file. I also managed to do the same with all CDRom's.
Interestingly enough this enabled me to put those 350 CDRom's onto
(iso.zipped files) 21 DVD's. In all the pile of 450 discs is now
reduced to a slim 65. I can only recommend this. As I was thinking
about the option of buying a blueray disc player and burner (being able
to fit 5 DVD's on 1 Blue ray) it would mean the whole collection of
data/software sine 1992 - 2008, to fit on 15 Blue ray discs.

The problem
Amazing
is it not? This is however not the reason for writing this blog. This
is just the elongated introduction of what's to come. Namely: I have
450 discs to throw away, but would you just throw your personal
data/email/software/pictures etc. into the waste bin for anyone to pick
it out and use your 1996 nude pictures as their desktop background? Or
publish your document diary as a new best selling novel? I don't think
that that is a good idea, but now to the real problem arises. How do
you destroy these plastic discs?

Microwave
On
the internet a couple of pages are dedicated to this disc desctruction
via the means of microwave. Auch: tried it: happy I didn't blow up the
microwave. I would still like to be able to heat up my coffee (that
reminds me: darn, cold again) and defrost the meat. Although nice
effects, hardly a way of dealing with 450 discs.

Airgun
Well,
although not found anywhere, Annemieke and myself thought of melting
the discs making them unreadable, or at least people would be unable to
insert them in to a dvd/cd player. The oven apparently does not produce
sufficient heat (ours goes up to 250 Celsius). Darn. Then I remembered
that for removing old paint from wood we have an airgun that goes up to
800. Don't try this at home kids...
Well, on a tile floor I managed
to have success with it and in 30 minutes disabled 8 discs. Wauw, that
would mean 450/4 * 60 = 112 hours. I don't seem to be able to clear
that much time in my schedule.

The scissors
Ok,
what else is mentioned in the online world, what are user experiences?
(The lack of proper ones made me write this loooong blog for you).
Using a scissor or a shredder. I can tell from own experience that
regular scissors don't work. And shredders aren't meant for plastic or
this thickness. There are special shredders but they cost a fortune.

Breaking
What
about simply breaking? Yup, tried that too, and almost lost an eye and
my right pinky... Dangerous depending on the brand of CDRom. I found
that printed discs become corrose after heating them, but don't break
as easily. Cheap CDRecordabels can be broken, however snap into
undefined fragments that are hazardous.

A 'workable' solution
Finally,
since I had to destroy these lasting remembrances: I thought of another
way of splicing them: garden scissors. They are more robust and need
little power to snap these discs in 2, or more parts, and in a
controlled way.

I wonder if anyone has had difficulty or
experiences in deleting these discs. Living near an incinerator oven
can also have it's benefits I guess....

Cya, Werner.

No comments:

Post a Comment